love may not mean shower of happiness
it may break a heart to pieces or shatter
and invite ages of sadness
yet in this world love is all that matter.
A Malaysian quatrain form. Commonly used to express themes of love, the contents usually contain allusions to symbols that make little sense to non-Malaysian readers.
Form Type: Accentual-Syllabic
Number of Lines: 4
Rhyme Scheme: a,b,a,b
1. The form is a single quatrain.
2. The rhyme scheme is a,b,a,b. This does not need to be perfect rhyme.
3. It has a fixed rhythm that it is recited to and as a result the line lengths are fixed between 8 and 12 syllables.
4. Often there is a seeming discontinuity between the first two lines and the second two lines. However on closer examination there is a linkage either in thought or the assonance of the verses.
5. There is usually a lot of allusion to either symbols, proverbs or places that would mean alot to Malay readers.